Unfortunately, the majority of us mere mortals don’t live in that wonderful world, so as the holiday season kicks off, we start to worry about the extra pounds joining us for Thanksgiving (and New Year’s…and Valentine’s Day…and Memorial Day). Want to maintain your weight and eat some delicious treats this holiday season? Here’s our guide to keeping fit and healthy…and eating your cake, too.
The top 5 ways you can keep the holiday pounds from creeping on!
1. Watch your portions.
Overdid it on the turkey this year? Check out these five easy ways to take control over how much you eat (and prevent the pounds from piling on!):
- Know how many servings of food from each food group you should have each day
- Think “portion” and “serving size” every time you eat
- Snack smart–especially at work
- Cook leftovers
See how simple each of these steps really is!
2. Work it out…at work!
Have the holiday cakes, pies and cookies put a little wobble in your rear? Try this quick fix: When you’re standing and chatting, do toe rises. That is, rise up onto your toes and then lower. Squeeze your glutes (butt muscles) together as you rise. Hello, fab tush!
We have five more awesome exercises you can sneak into your workday here!
3. Hate workouts? Don’t do ‘em…but stay active!
If running for an hour on the treadmill doesn’t strike your fancy (um, does it strike anyone’s fancy?), try one of these activities instead. You’ll be having so much fun you won’t even notice you’re exercising!
- Dance around the house to music
- Try some aerobics at home with a group of friends (spandex optional!)
- Take a Zumba class with a pal
- Get out in your garden for a few hours
Try adding a workout gadget to help you stay in shape.
One winner? The Stamina Pilates Magic Circle, below. It powers up your workout by providing added resistance. Squeeze it between your thighs and it engages both legs and abs; do the same thing in your hands and you’ll work arms and abs. Press it against your hip using one arm and you’ll get killer deltoids and triceps. Yes, please!
Four more workout gadgets you’ve gotta try.
5. Boost your metabolism with baby steps
Find little ways to stay in motion during the day–you’ll be surprised at how much they do to burn calories and keep you fit!
- Put down the remote
- Wash the car by hand
- Flex your muscles while sitting down
- Stretch in your free time–try a quick five-minute stretch on your lunch break!
Check out eight more mini-metabolism boosters!
For more Healthy Eating pick up the latest issue of Scrubs magazine, available at a retail store near you!