As celiac awareness has grown in recent years, a number of chain and local pizzerias have ventured into the world of gluten-free pizza. Chains such as UNO Chicago Grill, Pizza Fusion, Z-Pizza, Domino’s and Mellow Mushroom have all launched gluten-free pizzas recently.
Gluten-free pizza served by pizzerias varies greatly in its quality, and how much it tastes like the “real thing.” We certainly applaud restaurants for adopting gluten-free menus (especially when they take care to minimize cross-contamination risks), and we love the convenience and taste of gluten-free pizza made in a professional pizza oven.
But sometimes you really want to have your pizza just the way you like it – the exact right ratio of sauce to cheese, the right customized toppings, the right thickness of crust. That’s when nothing beats a pizza made at home.
In this post, we’ll explore all of your options for baking a delicious gluten-free pizza from the comfort of your own home.
The Joys of Making Your Gluten-Free Pizza from Home
Homemade pizza allows for incredible customization. Want to use vegan, non-dairy cheese? No problem. Want turkey pepperoni on a quarter of the pizza and spinach on the rest? Fine. Prefer deep-dish style pies? Go for it.
For folks who prefer not to make a pizza dough from scratch, these days there are frozen gluten-free pizza crusts available in the freezer section at many grocery stores, and there are also many mixes available. If you prefer the ease of popping a ready-to-bake pizza in the oven, those are available as well.
If you’re not just baking a readymade frozen pizza, here are the basic supplies you need to make your own pizza at home:
- Pizza pan or pizza stone
- Rolling pizza slicer
- Pizza sauce
- Cheese grater
- Cheese or non-dairy cheese replacement such as Daiya shreds
- Frozen gluten-free pizza crust or gluten-free pizza crust mix
Ready to get started? Below we’ll walk through some of our favorite gluten-free pizza crusts, pizza mixes and ready-to-bake pizzas.
Frozen Gluten-Free Pizza Crusts
If you want to avoid the time and mess involved with making your own pizza dough, try a quicker alternative that still allows for options for personalization.
- Udi’s Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- Kinnikinnik Gluten-Free Personal Size Pizza Crust & Personal Size Thin Pizza Crust
- The Grainless Baker Thin Pizza Shell
- Gillian’s Gluten-Free Pizza Dough & Pizza Crust
- Katz Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- Joan’s GF Great Bakes Pizza Crust
- Glutino Premium Pizza Crust
- Nature’s Hilights Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- Whole Foods’ Gluten-Free Bakehouse Pizza Crust
Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mixes
Looking to enjoy the whole process of pizza baking, from start to finish? Pizza crust mixes usually include yeast and give you the opportunity to get your hands into the pizza dough and shape it to your liking. This is a great option if you like a super thin crust or a thick, deep-dish type of pizza, or if you enjoy mixing cheese or herbs into your pizza crust. It’s also just plain fun.
- King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Pizza Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix & Pizza Crust Whole Grain Mix
- Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix
- Chebe Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix
- Namaste Foods Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix
- Gluten-Free Naturals Pizzeria Style Pizza Crust Mix
- Hodgson Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix
- Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix
Gluten-Free Frozen Ready-to-Bake Pizzas
Want the taste and freshness of a homemade pizza without all the fuss? Try a pre-made frozen gluten-free pizza that’s already topped, or a plain frozen cheese pizza you can add toppings to. Here are some of our favorites:
- Glutino Gluten-Free Frozen Pizzas (includes plain, pepperoni, spinach and feta, BBQ chicken and more)
- The Grainless Baker Gluten-Free Frozen Pizza
- Joan’s GF Great Bakes Frozen Pizza (includes Sicilian and New York style pies)
- BOLD Organics Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pizzas (includes plain, veggie lovers, and meat lovers)
- Amy’s Kitchen Gluten-Free Frozen Rice Crust Pizzas (includes spinach soy cheese, which is vegan, and plain cheese)
- Ian’s Natural Foods Gluten-Free French Bread Pizzas (pepperoni and cheese or vegan cheese)
- Foods By George Gluten-Free Cheeze Pizza
- Conte’s Margherita Pizza
No matter how you like your pizza, buon appetito!
By Giliah Nagar at CeliAct.com